St. Stephen Children’s Centre is a Community-Based Organization (Non-Governmental Organization) in the Lwengo District of Uganda [registration number CD/LDLG 1488]. It was established in 2005 by Ben J Ssesmwogerere to alleviate poverty in the rural area of Makondo Parish in southwestern Uganda. The centre provides:
• Nursery and Primary education for over 350 students, including academics and other important skills, such as agriculture, computers, community service, health, arts, sports, and public speaking.
• Vocational training and work opportunities for older youth and adults in agriculture, livestock rearing, carpentry and joinery, welding and fabrications, brick laying and concrete, motorcycle mechanics, tailoring and sewing, hair styling and beautification, and craft making.
• Training in computers and money management and involvement in our cooperative savings program.
• Health education and training including HIV/AIDS prevention, water, hygiene and sanitation, food security, and nutrition.
• Sponsorship of vulnerable children, including school fees & materials, food, health care, and other basic needs.
• Sponsorship of youth for secondary school and vocational training.
• Sponsorship of vulnerable adults, including health care, basic necessities, and emotional support.